I’ve been thinking about what made my Christmas special as a child:
- One new Christmas decoration Mum would buy each year
- Putting up the Christmas tree on December 1 while listening to the cricket on the radio/TV
- Putting up Christmas lights on the house
- Opening doors on the advent calendar (nope – no chocolate just a picture behind each door)
- Wrapping presents on Christmas Eve (to avoid any poking or prodding)
- Opening some little gifts from Father Christmas from our personal red felt stocking to keep us amused and leaving Mum and Dad to sleep peacefully!
- Mini cereal boxes for breakky on Christmas morning
- Waiting until after Church on Christmas day to unwrap the presents
- In later years, going to a Christmas eve service and coming home to a midnight snack of hot chips!
- Grandma’s roasted stuffed sausagemeat
- Backyard cricket on Christmas day
- Catching up with the family
- Watching the Boxing Day test (OK did I mention we are a cricket loving family?)